Thursday, July 10, 2008

Presentation Zen



I've been thinking a bit about using some presentation graphics, some visual reinforcements with the lectures and sermons I am called to give now and then, but like many of you I've experience too many death's by presentation to really push me too far along this path. I've used powerpoint very sparingly. Powerpoint kills, has been my unspoken montra. Then my good friend Dr. Jeff Arthurs who is a professor of homiletics at Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary, inspired me to explore a little further with it. to my surprise he said he had found powerpoint to be helpful with some of his work. I know Jeff is a real word and presentation-smith, so it got me thinking. Then I stumbled upon a youtube from an old classmate of mine from high school named Garr Reynolds, who happens to be a highly sought after guru on matters related to visual presentations; powerpoint etc. He has written a popular blog called "presentation zen" and followed it with a book. The presentation above was given to the folks at Google.

Garr hasn't changed a bit since I last saw him in 1982!